Thursday, June 24, 2010

Overlooking Cape Point

Last week, on Wednesday, the majority of us had the day off from work because it was a national holiday, Children’s Day. Children's Day is designed to commemorate the memory of the youth who partook in the Soweto Uprising of 1976. We took advantage of the free time to do some travelling around the Cape Town area. Will, Samera, Chaele, Brandon, and I went to Kalk Bay, about a 45 minute train ride outside of the city. Will and I had met a UCT student on the jammie shuttle on the way home from work, and he had recommended that we go to Kalk Bay and eat at a particularly good restaurant there, Olympia Café.

Kalk Bay itself was stunning, with picturesque beaches and local charm. Olympia Café was mostly seafood which I could not enjoy, but the bread was absolutely phenomenal. Many of us agreed it was the best bread we’ve ever eaten. And it wasn’t even warm, so that’s saying something.

On Saturday, the group went to Simonstown to meet with Peter Story, a minister who was very outspoken against apartheid while it was occurring. We met with him at his church, and then all went out to lunch together at a restaurant on the beach. Again, the scenery was absolutely stunning. But, the best part of the day was when we went to Cape Point and the Cape of Good Hope in the afternoon. I know I’ve been raving about the beauty of Cape Town and the surrounding areas, but this place really was outstanding. Honestly, it is the most beautiful place to which I have ever been. Words cannot even describe it!

We had a hired van driving us all day, so we really got to explore the countryside. On the way home we took the scenic route, which was a winding road that took us all along the gorgeous coastline. Overall, it really was an absolutely spectacular day full of breathtaking views; I was overcome by the beauty of my surroundings. It again made me feel so incredibly blessed and grateful to be here—I’ve had so many moving experiences academically, emotionally, intellectually, and spiritually. And to think that my time in Cape Town is only halfway done!

1 comment:

  1. I love reading your blog and hearing all about your experiences! Glad you're having a great time :) I miss you!

    ReplyDelete