Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Lovin' CT

Chaele, Dana, Me, & Kim at UCT campus

Cape Town is BEAUTIFUL! And fortunately their winters are very mild (at least so far). A lot of people even went swimming yesterdat, but unfortunately I didn’t bring a swimsuit. The B&B where we’re staying is soo nice; we are living in total luxury which is ironic because we’ve been focusing so much on the huge wealth disparity in South Africa and what a problem it is.

Today was my first day at work. Will and I are both working at the Black Sash, a Human Rights NGO that focuses on ensuring the constitutional rights of the poor. Everyone at work is really nice, and it sounds like Will and I will have a great internship if we take initiative. Basically they’ll let us do whatever task we choose in the scope of the Black Sash’s work.

For lunch I met up with Kim and some of her friends from UCT. I had literally the most AMAZING cake of my life; it was like the cake from Matilda. Delicious. Then I met up with Kim again and she took me, Chaele, Dana, and Ubong around UCT and then took us out to dinner. The UCT campus is gorgeous and it has a stunning view of the city. It was SO great to see her again! She’s awesome, and it was great to catch up and reminisce about random memories from Botswana. She’ll be here until June 12th, so hopefully I’ll see a lot of her until then.

Also, the food in South Africa is really good! There’s a lot of pasta and pizza, but they’re really unique dishes. Tonight I had butternut squash ravioli with broccoli and pine nuts. There are also a lot of Indian food restaurants.

Lastly, the people on my program are awesome. It’s going to be a great summer.

1 comment:

  1. Get me the recipe? Mmkay thanks dear! And be safe over there! And hurry home to me!

    ReplyDelete